Saturday, September 26, 2009

Employment Is Good

I got a job this week, and proved that I was right -- an extra bonus. I have said since I got canned at Ye Olde Tate & Lyle that if I could only get someone to interview me, I would find employment. I realize that sounds a bit egotistical and crass, but -- just the facts, ma'am -- I interview well.

I had sent an application and résumé in response to a HotJobs online advertisement for a chemical analyst to a site called ResourceMFG. Turns out ResourceMFG is a temp service that supplies people -- like myself -- who have industrial experience of various degrees to companies far and wide. Therefore, I am now a temp. I already hate myself.
Everyone hates temps.

Also, where I am working, I am the new guy; so I doubly hate myself.

Some background: I had my last job for 27 years. When I met new technicians, I would shake their hands warmly, apologize and tell them, "It's not your fault, but I hate you." I would then explain that I hate all new people, because the new guys' main job is to complicate life for me and my co-workers
. I would further elucidate that -- in 1982, when I was a new guy -- I hated myself. Most understood.

Anyhoo, I got the call from ResourceMFG telling me about the opportunity, and asking if I could interview Wednesday, 9/23 at 9:00 AM. I did just that, and Wednesday afternoon the temp agent called and said, "He wants you there at 7:00 AM tomorrow. I told him you hadn't taken your drug screen yet, but he said, 'I don't care, have him here in the morning,' are you okay with that?"

Duh.

So I got this temp job at a place called Emerachem. They manufacture industrial application catalytic convertors that turn carbon monoxide emissions into CO
2 and steam; a very GREEN sort of thing to do. They have a huge contract for some power generation place in California, and they are hiring temps to help get the work done in the contracted amount of time. Therefore, I have employment until at least January 2010.

The work is not difficult. There's some chemical mixing, fork truck driving (probably my greatest skill for them is my ability to operate a fork truck in tight spaces), and assembly line-type work. Admittedly, it's not a QA laboratory, but it
IS a damn job. I'd rather work forty hours for twice my unemployment check than sit on my dead ass and get gum'mint pay -- anytime.

I now have to get all of my medical junk straightened out (passed the drug screen Friday afternoon -- although there probably
was some Kentucky bourbon in there), but that's another problem for another day.

Employment is good.

2 comments:

  1. You are THE MAN!! Congratulations on the temporary job. It's just temporary. There's light at the end of the tunnel. The next job will be better, will pay better, and will feel better. And then you won't be able to hate yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just in awe of your securing a job after one (count it, one) interview. Dang, yer good.

    ReplyDelete